Sell Your Car with Lookers
Find out how much your car is worth.
Looking to sell your car? With a free valuation from Lookers, you can discover how much your car is worth in minutes. You can use this service even if you're not planning to buy from us, our team are always looking for quality used cars.
Simply enter your vehicle registration number and mileage below to get started.
How do we calculate the value of your car?
Our car value checker takes several different factors into consideration when calculating what your car is worth. These include the vehicle’s:
• Age & manufacturing date
• Version or trim
• Current condition
• Modifications – if applicable
Once we have that information, we can then provide a personalised used car valuation that is unique to your vehicle alone.
We regularly assess market prices for vehicles, across a host of different manufacturers. This enables us to provide you with an up-to-date value for your car, giving you the full picture when you’re looking to sell or part exchange.
At Lookers, we understand every vehicle is different. That’s why you can trust us to provide a price that takes all the above factors into account, giving you an accurate reflection of your car’s value – helping you plan your next purchase.
Why get a car valuation?
Getting a guide price for your car is important, especially if you’re thinking about part exchanging or selling in the future and want to know what your budget will be. A vehicle valuation can:
• Show you exactly what your car is currently worth on the market, providing an up-to-date price.
• Give you an idea of when you may want to sell – for instance, if mileage is creeping up, you may want to sell sooner, rather than later.
• Let you know what funds you can put towards a new car, if you plan to sell or part exchange.
Most importantly, getting a value for your vehicle can help you plan ahead and let you know what vehicles are currently within your budget. This makes the process of buying a new car or part exchanging for a used car, much easier.
What makes Lookers car value checker different?
Simply researching your vehicle’s model and mileage online won’t give you an accurate price for your vehicle. That’s because each car is presented in a different condition and different factors affect its value.
For example, say there are two Ford Fiesta’s for sale – both manufactured in the same year and with identical mileages. However, one has significant wear and tear and the other has had several modifications over the years.
A standard online search for the vehicle model and mileage would return a general value for the vehicle.
A full vehicle valuation from Lookers would go much more in-depth, using the vehicle’s registration to assess many different variables that would affect its selling or part exchange price.
Frequently asked questions
How can I find out what my car is worth?
You can use our free car valuation tool on this page. Simply enter your vehicle’s registration number and its current mileage. We’ll then ask for a few contact details and the location of your nearest Lookers dealership.
Sometimes, further details may be required, such as vehicle type, manufacturer and range. Once we have all this, a member of the Lookers team will be in touch with your valuation and discuss your next steps.
How accurate are free car valuations?
As long as all of the details you provide are correct, your car valuation will be accurate at the time it is submitted.
You are under no obligation to buy a vehicle with Lookers or part exchange when you value your car with us, so you can be rest assured your valuation is accurate.
What factors can increase a car’s value?
There are many factors which can help increase a car’s value. Some are smaller than others and can cost a few pounds, others may require more bit of investment.
• Giving the interior and exterior a thorough clean. A professional valet is recommended.
• Having minor dents and scratches removed. Depending on the severity, you can sometimes do these yourself.
• Looking after your vehicle, being prompt when repairs are needed, maintaining its appearance and booking in for regular servicing.
• Having the correct paperwork, this includes a full service record, latest MOT certificate and V5C certificate.
What factors can decrease a car’s value?
There are several things that can unfortunately reduce a car’s value on the market. It’s worth being aware of these in advance, before you decide to sell or part exchange.
• Selected modifications, valuations may take these into account negatively and this could reduce your vehicle’s value.
• Damage and wear and tear to both the exterior and interior will means potential repairs are needed in the future – negatively impacting its value.
• Excessive mileage means an increased chance of wear and tear to the vehicle, which can result in a lower resale value.
How much does low mileage add to car value?
It’s estimated that cars with low mileage can sell for 20-30% more than cars with high mileage. This is because mileage is the biggest factor for determining the car’s value, as it can help establish how much life is still left in the vehicle.
What is considered high mileage?
On average, a car will cover 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year. If your vehicle goes above this, that is considered high annual mileage.
Mileage alone isn’t the only consideration when it’s used to determine value, however. How the car has been driven is factored in too.
A car that has been driven on motorways its whole lifespan could be in a better condition than a car of the same mileage, which has been driven through towns and B-roads.
How does part exchange work?
Part exchange is where you sell your current vehicle to the dealer and pay the difference towards the new car. If your car valuation says your car is worth £3,000 and you want to buy a new car for £10,000, you’ll only need to pay the remaining £7,000.