In a recent announcement, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has confirmed that the UK will postpone the ban on new petrol and diesel cars and vans until 2035, giving motorists an extra five years before the new regulations take effect. While this decision may come as a relief to some, it's essential to understand what has changed, what this means for UK motorists, and how Lookers can help you navigate this transition.
What Has Changed?
Originally, the UK government had set an ambitious target to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel vehicles by 2030. However, recognising the challenges and concerns, they have opted for a slightly more extended transition period, moving the ban to 2035. This adjustment aims to ease the shift towards electric vehicles (EVs) while ensuring that consumers have more time to adapt.
What Does This Mean for UK Motorists?
For UK motorists, this change means that you can continue to purchase new petrol and diesel cars and vans until 2035. Even after that date, these vehicles will still be available on the second-hand market. This extension provides breathing room for those who might have been concerned about the rapid transition to electric vehicles.
How Lookers Can Help
The future is electric, and Lookers is committed to supporting UK motorists during this transition. Here's how we can assist:
1. Explore Electric Options: As the popularity of EVs continues to grow, we offer a wide range of electric and hybrid vehicles to choose from. Whether you're looking for a fully electric vehicle (BEV), a plug-in hybrid (PHEV), or a range-extended vehicle (REx), we have options to suit your needs. Learn more about all the types of electric vehicles.
2. Reduce Your Carbon Footprint: Switching to electric is an eco-conscious choice, reducing your carbon footprint and contributing to a cleaner environment. EVs produce zero tailpipe emissions, making them a sustainable choice for the future.
3. Lower Running Costs: Electric vehicles typically have lower long-term running costs compared to petrol or diesel cars. With government grants, tax exemptions, and reduced charging costs, you can enjoy more affordable motoring.
4. Charging Infrastructure: Lookers can provide guidance on the growing network of public charging stations across the UK. We can also assist in understanding the cost of charging an EV and the convenience it offers.
5. Second-Hand EVs: If you're concerned about the upfront cost of an electric vehicle, consider buying a second-hand EV. These options can be more budget-friendly while still providing the benefits of electric motoring.
In conclusion, while the ban on new petrol and diesel vehicles has been extended to 2035, the shift towards electric vehicles is inevitable. Lookers is here to support you on this journey, offering a range of electric options, expert guidance, and a commitment to a greener, more sustainable future on the roads of the UK. Embrace the electric revolution with Lookers.
At Lookers you can get whatever you want, however you want it. Choose from 38 manufacturers and over 7,000 new and used vehicles.
Buy online with Click and Drive or in person with our transparent pricing and 14 day money back guarantee. Collect or have it delivered. In addition to that, our expert vehicle technicians will Service, MOT or repair your car to the highest standard using genuine parts with Lookers signature care and attention.